Wednesday 25 March 2015

I love myself!


I love myself, this phrase is easier said than done, it’s a seemingly easy thing to do some would assume, but to others it may not be as easy. Loving yourself to some may seem like a task, something you need to stimulate to be able to do or feel. Loving yourself and feeling good about yourself contributes to many things, your self-confidence rises, you start seeing life more positively, you don’t question your worth anymore. 

There was a phase in my life that I felt the same, loving myself felt like an endless chore that could never be fulfilled to the max. Now I feel the exact opposite, its been a complete 360 turn and life has been amazing. I consider myself an introvert, I've always been this way to the outside world,only with my family, I display the crazy flamboyant side of me. 

Due to the silent alienated side of me, many a time people classify me as rude, stuck up or otherwise because I keep to myself and speak less. These things used to bother me but over the years I’ve realised that what I think about myself holds more importance over what someone who does not know me thinks. 


Self-confidence within shatters sometimes because as individuals, we all have different strengths; some are weaker than others, while some are stronger than others. Negative remarks from people whom are deemed ‘popular’ in the social pyramid leads to a lack of confidence. 

It’s perfectly okay to be different and feel different. Stereotypes, imperfections, inequalities… what do they all mean or have in common? We are all unique in our own ways because of our flaws and differences. Likewise, everyone in this world has a different journey and a different mission, follow your own path and everything else will fall into place.


Never judge a book by its cover; very often this phrase is thrown out and many people hear it and preach it to others but do not adhere to it themselves. Everyone is guilty of this so you are not alone. There was a celebrity personnel that I never liked for no reason in particular, but this very celebrity was someone who taught me a great lesson and shouldered advice. In one of her interviews, she spoke about her life not being all glamorous; there was a lot of struggle and hardships to attain what she has today. One thing she said that has remained with me for life is that no matter what people say or think of you, it will only matter if you allow it to. How you feel about yourself and what you think of yourself, that’s what should be important. That was when I realised I had no right to dislike her because I did not know her, apart from that my judgement of her, like many others, did not matter because she never let it affect her. The actress further spoke about creating a list that she reads to herself every morning or whenever she feels low.


Of course people encounter ‘rainy days’ where you feel inferior and you wish you did not exist nor do you want to face the harsh reality. One method that helped me and that can help you as well is to create two lists; Things you love about yourself and things you dislike about yourself. When you have created these two lists, appreciate what you love about yourself and work towards loving what you dislike or making a change.


On the 13thJuly 2014, I created a list of things that makes me feel good about myself via motivation and phrases; I used to read it every day, but as time progressed I found myself having to read it less and less because I genuinely felt great about myself. 


I am good enough.

My presence makes a difference.

Love is greater than hate.

Smiling burns calories.

Dream big.

Never let anyone put me down.

I am beautiful.

Be grateful for everything I have.

Live life on my own terms.

Finish everything I set out to do.


I initially went on the whim and created this list but now when I look back I’m glad I did this. Now, nearly a year older, I would word some of the list differently but ideally the idea of it is the same.


A particular scene I saw from the movie Insurgent a few days ago had with great meaning to it. One of the faction simulations Tris underwent, Amity, she had to fight with herself, because she felt guilty and was not happy with herself, in order to pass the test she forgave herself and felt truly happy from within.(Members of the Amity faction are dedicated to happiness, peacefulness, kindness, forgiveness, trust, self-sufficiency, and neutrality.) Even if you are dauntless, erudite, candor, abnegation, none of it matters unless you are also amity. Basically you need to be all of the factions in real life; divergent.

Even if you are, selfless, brave, intelligent, honest... none of it matters unless you are also happy. Basically you need to be all of the factions in real life; divergent. You need to be happy with yourself, find peace within yourself, be kind to yourself, forgive yourself, trust yourself to make the right judgements and believe that you are self sufficient. 
You cannot truly be happy in life if you do not love yourself and feel happy with yourself. Sometimes we are our own enemies like Tris because we do not believe in ourselves and we assume the worst of ourselves because of society. Always remember, no matter what shape, size, culture, colour or gender you are, no one has any right to make you feel inferior; likewise you should not feel superior to anyone.




 Love yourself because you are worth it and because you owe it to yourself! 

Sarita
xoxo


No comments:

Post a Comment